Indulge in this scrumptious Garlic Herb Roast Chicken recipe that’s perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. It’s not only incredibly easy to prepare but also results in tender, juicy, and flavorful chicken every time.
With just a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, you’ll have a delicious meal on the table in under an hour.
Quick & Flavorful Garlic Herb Roast Chicken – Easy Weeknight Dinner Recipe
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35-45 minutes
Calories: 490 kcal (approx.)
Nutritional Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 490 kcal
- Protein: 40 g
- Fat: 34 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 150 mg
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
- Sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 200 mg (varies depending on the amount of salt used)
- Potassium: 440 mg
Keep in mind that these values are based on a whole chicken, including both white and dark meat, skin, and the garlic herb mixture.
To reduce the fat and calorie content, you can choose to remove the skin before consuming or opt for leaner cuts, such as chicken breasts.
How to roast whole chicken
Roasting a whole chicken is a simple process that results in a flavorful, tender, and juicy meal. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to roast a whole chicken:
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and position a rack in the middle of the oven. This temperature allows the chicken to cook quickly and evenly while achieving a crispy skin.
- Prepare the chicken: Remove any giblets or innards from the chicken cavity and pat the chicken dry with paper towels. This helps the seasonings adhere better and ensures even browning.
- Season the chicken: Rub the chicken with a mixture of your desired seasonings, herbs, and oil or butter. You can use the Garlic Herb Roast Chicken recipe mentioned earlier or create your own seasoning blend. Be sure to season both the outside and inside of the chicken, and you can also place some of the seasonings under the skin for more flavor.
- Truss the chicken (optional): Trussing means tying the chicken legs and wings close to the body to help the chicken cook more evenly and retain its shape. To truss the chicken, tuck the wing tips behind the chicken’s back, and use kitchen twine to tie the legs together at the ends.
- Prepare the roasting pan: Place the chicken on a roasting rack set in a roasting pan. The rack elevates the chicken, allowing the heat to circulate evenly around the bird, and the pan collects the drippings for easy cleanup or making gravy.
- Roast the chicken: Place the chicken in the preheated oven and roast for approximately 20 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) when measured with a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh (without touching the bone). The juices should run clear when the chicken is properly cooked.
- Baste (optional): To keep the chicken moist, you can baste it with pan juices or melted butter every 15-20 minutes during roasting.
- Rest the chicken: Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving. This allows the juices to redistribute within the meat, ensuring a tender and juicy result.
- Carve and serve: Using a sharp knife and a carving fork, separate the legs and wings from the body. Slice the breast meat and arrange the pieces on a serving platter. Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
Remember that cooking times can vary depending on the size of the chicken, so be sure to monitor the internal temperature for the best results.
Quick & Flavorful Garlic Herb Roast Chicken – Easy Weeknight Dinner RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Indulge in this scrumptious Garlic Herb Roast Chicken recipe that’s perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. It’s not only incredibly easy to prepare but also results in tender, juicy, and flavorful chicken every time. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, you’ll have a delicious meal on the table in under an hour.
1 whole chicken (3-4 lbs)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp paprika
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and position a rack in the middle.
- In a small bowl, combine the minced garlic, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, parsley, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Clean the chicken by removing any giblets and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the chicken on a roasting rack set in a roasting pan.
- Using your fingers, gently loosen the skin from the chicken breast, being careful not to tear it. Spread half of the garlic herb mixture evenly under the skin, covering the breast meat.
- Rub the remaining garlic herb mixture all over the outside of the chicken, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Roast the chicken for 35-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) when measured with a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh. The juices should run clear when the chicken is properly cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving. This will help the juices redistribute, ensuring a tender and juicy meal.
- Carve the chicken, serve, and enjoy your delicious Garlic Herb Roast Chicken!
- For even more flavor, marinate the chicken in the garlic herb mixture for 1-2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- To keep the chicken moist, baste it with pan juices every 15 minutes during roasting.
- Pair this dish with your favorite roasted vegetables, rice, or a simple green salad for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Save the chicken carcass to make a delicious homemade chicken stock for future recipes.
This Garlic Herb Roast Chicken recipe works for several reasons:
- Simplicity: The recipe uses a minimal number of ingredients that are commonly found in most kitchens, making it easy for anyone to prepare. The straightforward process also ensures that even novice cooks can achieve a delicious and satisfying meal.
- Flavor profile: Garlic and herbs like rosemary, thyme, and parsley provide a classic and complementary flavor combination that enhances the taste of the chicken. The addition of paprika provides a mild, smoky undertone that adds depth to the dish.
- Moist and tender chicken: By placing the garlic herb mixture under the skin of the chicken, the flavors are absorbed directly into the meat, keeping it moist and flavorful. Roasting at a higher temperature (425°F/220°C) allows the skin to crisp up, while the meat inside remains juicy and tender.
- Time-efficient: The recipe is designed to cook quickly, making it an ideal choice for a busy weeknight dinner. The total time, including preparation and cooking, is under an hour.
- Versatility: The dish can be easily adapted to suit personal preferences or dietary restrictions. You can adjust the herbs and seasonings, substitute chicken parts (like thighs or breasts), or use other cooking methods (such as grilling or slow cooking).
- Crowd-pleaser: Garlic Herb Roast Chicken is a universally appealing dish that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and palates. Its tender, juicy texture and savory flavors make it a hit for family dinners, potlucks, or other gatherings.
- Balanced meal: When served with sides like roasted vegetables, rice, or a salad, this roast chicken recipe becomes a well-rounded meal that offers a variety of nutrients, including protein, healthy fats, and vitamins from the herbs and vegetables.
In summary, this Garlic Herb Roast Chicken recipe works because it is simple, flavorful, time-efficient, versatile, and universally appealing.
The dish’s combination of classic flavors, tender meat, and quick preparation make it a go-to choice for a satisfying meal.
The Garlic Herb Roast Chicken is a versatile main course that pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Here are some serving suggestions to help you create a balanced and delicious meal:
- Roasted Vegetables: Prepare an assortment of your favorite vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, or sweet potatoes. Toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them alongside the chicken in the oven.
- Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes are a classic pairing with roast chicken. For added flavor, mix in roasted garlic, chives, or grated cheese.
- Rice or Quinoa: Serve your roast chicken with a side of steamed rice, brown rice, or quinoa to soak up the flavorful pan juices.
- Green Salad: A simple green salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a light vinaigrette complements the rich flavors of the roast chicken.
- Steamed or Grilled Vegetables: Prepare a side of steamed or grilled vegetables like asparagus, green beans, or zucchini for a lighter and healthier option.
- Bread or Rolls: Serve crusty bread, dinner rolls, or garlic bread to mop up any remaining pan juices on the plate.
- Pasta: A side of buttered noodles, pasta salad, or a simple pasta dish with garlic and olive oil pairs well with the roast chicken.
- Couscous or Orzo: Serve a side of fluffy couscous or orzo, seasoned with herbs and lemon zest, for a Mediterranean-inspired accompaniment.
- Risotto: A creamy, flavorful risotto with mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, or sun-dried tomatoes can elevate your roast chicken dinner.
- Polenta or Grits: A side of creamy polenta or grits with butter and herbs adds a comforting and delicious element to the meal.
Feel free to mix and match your favorite side dishes to create a satisfying meal that suits your preferences and dietary needs.
You’ll also love:
Easy Garlic Herb Roast Chicken
[…] Herb Roast Chicken, an easy and delicious recipe. […]
[…] Easy Garlic Herb Roast Chicken […]
[…] Easy Garlic Herb Roast Chicken […]